Monday, December 07, 2015

Carrie Fisher’s blunt, magical press tour is already the best thing about the return of “Star Wars”

Carrie Fisher’s blunt, magical press tour is already the best thing about the return of “Star Wars” From Salon

for the entire article go here:
http://www.salon.com/2015/12/07/carrie_fishers_blunt_magical_press_tour_is_already_the_best_thing_about_the_return_of_star_wars/


Let's applaud Fisher, who reprises her iconic role as Leia, for her commentary on ageism, sexism and fandom VIDEO

 
Carrie Fisher's blunt, magical press tour is already the best thing about the return of "Star Wars"(Credit: AP/Jordan Strauss)
Even if you’re someone who’s always been only “meh” about the “Star Wars” empire, the imminent release of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” is nonetheless cause for nonstop rejoicing. Because where’s there’s “Star Wars,” there’s Carrie Fisher.
Fisher, currently competing with the New York Daily News for the title “Legendary American Institution with the Fewest F__ks to Give,” has been making the media circuit to promote the forthcoming installment of the saga, and it’s damn glorious. Because Carrie Fisher — actress, memoirist, former Jenny Craig spokeswoman, self-described poster child for bipolar disorder — is not having your nonsense.
Speaking last week with the Wall Street Journal, the woman who has famously explained that “I swear when I was shooting those films I never realized I was signing an invisible contract to stay looking the exact same way for the rest of my existence” nonetheless embraced her iconic identity, saying she never hesitated about returning as Leia. “I’ve been this character for 40 years, why would I not? Because I’m going to be associated with Princess Leia more? There is no ‘more.’ And I’m a female working in show business, where, if you’re famous, you have a career until you’re 45, maybe.Maybe. And that’s about 15 people.”
And she replied to journalist Michael Calia’s observation that “There’s been some debate recently about whether there should be no more merchandise with you in the ‘Return of the Jedi’ bikini” with a terse, “I think that’s stupid.” She added, The father who flipped out about it, ‘What am I going to tell my kid about why she’s in that outfit?’ Tell them that a giant slug captured me and forced me to wear that stupid outfit, and then I killed him because I didn’t like it. And then I took it off. Backstage.”

1 comment:

Mathew Paust said...

She's a hoot. Her interview on GMA cracked everyone up. She's selling this movie.