Friday, April 13, 2012

Mystery Scene & Jonathan Mayberry on Travis McGee


FROM MYSTERY SCENE BLOG

Jonathan Maberry on Travis McGee

We all have a piece of writing that speaks to us. Not something that shouted once, but something that continues to whisper to you, to engage you. To connect with some essential part of you - as reader, as writer, and as a person.

For me that has always been theTravis McGee novels by John D. MacDonald. All 21 of them. I first heard of them while vacationing in Fort Lauderdale way back in 1978, just as the 17th book in the series,The Empty Copper Sea, was debuting. I'd never heard of MacDonald or McGee before, but a local bookseller told me the character "lived" there in Lauderdale. I bought the book on a whim and settled onto a beach chair to see if it was any good.

Next morning I was back to buy two more McGee novels. Then I went back and bought the whole series. I devoured those books. But it wasn't simply that they were excellent reads - some of the content was dated even by the "modern" standards of 1978 - there was something else about the stories.

There was Travis McGee.


For the rest go here:

info@mysteryscenemag.com

info@mysteryscenemag.com

No comments: