Saturday, October 16, 2010

Keith Richards writes the book Keith Richards WOULD write

Richards: Mick Jagger was "unbearable"



Reuters – Rolling Stones Mick Jagger smiles on stage upon the screening of their film 'Shine A Light' during …

– Fri Oct 15, 11:04 am ET

LONDON (Reuters) – Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards says in his new autobiography that Mick Jagger became unbearable over the years and reveals he also calls the imperious lead singer "Your Majesty" and "Brenda."

The memoir is peppered with references to other celebrities -- from Johnny Depp to John Lennon -- but it is the prickly dynamic between Richards and Jagger that dominates the 527-page book, which is to be serialized in The Times newspaper.
Richards, 66, who met Jagger at the age of four, says he has not stepped foot in Jagger's dressing room in 20 years.

"It was the beginning of the Eighties when Mick started to become unbearable," Richards writes in the memoir, "Life," which brought him an advance of 4.8 million pounds ($7.7 million) after a massive bidding war among publishers.
Richards and Jagger were two of the Stones' founding members in 1962 and wrote its hit songs, leading the group to sales of more than 200 million albums worldwide.

"Sometimes I think: 'I miss my friend,'" Richards writes. "I wonder: 'where did he go?'"

But Richards told the Times that his bandmate had read the book and wanted to take out only one thing -- a reference to Jagger using a voice coach.

Richards refused, saying: "I'm trying to say the truth here."
He added about Jagger: "We've had our beefs but, hey, who doesn't? You try and keep something together for 50 years," adding the band was considering going on tour again.

"I think it's going to happen. I've had a chat with ... Her Majesty. Brenda."

The band's last tour ended in August 2007, sparking the customary speculation that there would be no more.

for the rest go here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101015/people_nm/us_books_richards_3

3 comments:

Todd Mason said...

Well, who would know better than Richard?

And, as my friend Alice asks, "Why 'Brenda'?"

Somehow, say, Ray Davies's memoirs seem more likely to get my eyetracks sooner...though I would be interested in Richard's take on Brian Jones's blowout. I might be even more interested in Charlie Watts's take on that, and other Rolling Stones matters...

Deb said...

Todd, I read Ray Davies's memoir X-RAY and wasn't sure what was a put-on and what might conceivably be his take on what went on during heyday of the Kinks. As for Brian Jones, I think Marianne Faithful had it right when she said that in the 1960s no one had an inkling that Brian might have been mentally ill, but that in retrospect she suspects that he was.

David Cranmer said...

I will enjoy reading this.