Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Glad Tidings

Ed here: This may have happened before tbut if so I can't remember when or where. Tom Piccirilli has been nominated twice in the same paperback original category for the International Thriller Awards. Congratulations, Tom.

Best Paperback Original:
SHADOW SEASON by Tom Piccirilli
URGE TO KILL by John Lutz
VENGEANCE ROAD by Rick Mofina
THE COLDEST MILE by Tom Piccirilli
NO MERCY by John Gilstrap

________________________________________

Ed here: I realized when I saw this on No Fear Of the Future that I've been reading Neil Barrett, Jr. stories for at least fifty years.
He's one of those writers who has not only survived a long career he's used his tenure to get better and better and better. It's nice to see his enormous talents formally appreciated.
MONDAY, MARCH 29, 2010

Neal Barrett, Jr., named 2010 SFWA Author Emeritus

COCO BEACH, FLA. – Neal Barrett, Jr., author of The Hereafter Gang, named by the Washington Post as “one of the great American novels,” and Interstate Dreams, recognized as an award-winner by the Texas Institute of Letters, will be honored as Author Emeritus by the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America for the 2010 Nebula Awards® Weekend in Coco Beach, Fla.

The moved was announced by SFWA President Russell Davis.

“I am very pleased and proud to be a part of the upcoming Nebula Awards ceremonies in Florida, and have the chance to talk to the people I respect the most---the writers who do the job every day that I've done since I could hold that blue crayon up straight,” Barrett said.

Barrett is known in the science fiction and fantasy world for works such as Through Darkest America, Dawn’s Uncertain Light and Prince of Christler-Coke, and a number of outstanding short story collections such as Perpetuity Blues, Slightly Off Center and A Different Vintage. Barrett has published more than 50 novels and 70-plus shorter works since his first sales in 1959.

“I sold a short story to both Galaxy and Amazing at the same time,” Barrett said. “I was certain this meant it would be smooth sailing in this profession from then on.”

(more)

“I have a great respect for many of the editors and publishers I’ve worked with,” Barrett said. “And I’d like to say how much I admire the contributions of the small press, houses such as Subterranean Press and Golden Gryphon. I’m proud to say that a lot of what I feel is my best work is due to the editors of these presses.

“Like many professional writers, I’ve written westerns, mystery-suspense, horror, noir, air war stories, the Hardy Boys, Tom Swift, novelizations such as Judge Dredd, Barb Wire and Dungeons & Dragons,” he said. “One of my all-time favorite jobs is writing comic books--I think I’ve turned out over a thousand pages by now. That’s what writers do, you know--they often do what needs to be done. And I’ve found that a real pro puts everything he or she has into whatever project comes along. You name it. I can’t tell you how many names besides mine are out there over the work I’ve done for a series or special projects."

The 2010 Nebula Awards® Weekend will be held in Coco Beach, Fla., May 13-16. The date was chosen to coincide with the scheduled launching of the Shuttle Atlantis on Friday, May 14. The Nebula Awards will be presented at a banquet on Saturday evening, May 15. Vonda N. McIntyre and Keith Stokes will be honored with the SFWA Service Award, and Joe Haldeman will be honored as the next Damon Knight Grand Master. For more information, visit www.nebulaawards.com.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The only problem Piccirilli has is that he's competing against himself.

Glad to see your comments about Neal Barrett. What a fine writer and what a great body of work he has.

James Reasoner said...

Congrats to Tom and Neal both.

Todd Mason said...

As I've groused on Bill blog the other day, the only downside is that they still insist on the insulting title of "Author Emeritus"...as if the recipients are has-beens, or at least retired (they usually aren't). IF you don't want to call them Grand Masters, then call them Masters...certainly fits Barrett, and such previous recipients as (for goodness's sake) Robert Sheckley.

I'm hardly the only person to make this Modest Proposal, but perhaps after the thousandth or so the SFWA brass will wake the [self-censored] up, or are they Thinkers Emeritus?