Monday, September 10, 2007

Jane Wyman R.I.P.

Jinx Winslow

I'm noting the passing of Jane Wyman because in the late 40s and early 50s I saw so many of her B movies from earlier years she became sort of my sister. She was a cutie rather than a beauty and a good solid actress rather than a huge star. She did notable A pictures, of course, winning the Academy Award for Johnny Belinda and providing beleivable help to Ray Milland in The Lost Weekend.

But I mostly remember her Bs. Her best work was done, I think, in light comedy. She was fetching and funny. I caught one of her old mystery films some time ago. It brought back many many memories of popcorn days in second run houses

"Private Detective" (1940) features Jane as Myrna "Jinx" Winslow private eye. In the course of scouting out a tough case she meets another private working the same case, the durable if dull Dick Foran. You can write the script from here. They meet cute? You bet. They solve the crime? You bet. They fall in love? You bet.

But it's fun all the way through, 55 minutes (according to IMBD) of pulp writing, pulp acting and pulp directing made pleasurable by the good looks and fetching ways of Jane Wyman.

So long, Jane.

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Magnificent Obsession. All That Heaven Allows. Douglas Sirk movies. And, of course, Johnny Belinda. She had great dignity.

I. Michael Koontz said...

Wasn't she married to Ronald Reagan, if memory serves?

My favorite Wyman quote: "If he makes me watch 'King's Row' one more time, I'm going to puke."(or something like that.)

Always makes me sad when an old star passes. Jack Lemmon was one that really bothered me, for some reason.