Sunday, December 31, 2006

PRO-File: Donald Bain

Donald Bain is an extremely successful writer under his own name and at least one other.


Tell us about your current novel?

I'n writing the 29th book in the "Murder, She Wrote" series, and am about
to sign a new four-book contract. The one I'm working on takes place in
Cabot Cove over a Fourth-of-July weekend. Tentative title: "The Fireworks
Were a Killer." I've also signed a new two-book contract for a series I've
been ghosting for more than 20 years. The Bain writing factory is in
full-gear. Two MSW novels already written and in the pipeline are "Coffee,
Tea or Murder?" (I've shamelessly stolen from my own title). And "Panning
for Murder," set in Alaska, will be a hardcover in October 2007.

Can you give us a sense of what you're working on now?

See above.

What is the greatest pleasure of a writing career?

Being known as a writer. People have an inflated reverence for people who
write. Of course, I enjoy the relative freedom it affords me (but as you
know, deadlines take away a lot of that freedom), and the learning process
that comes with researching the books.

The greatest DIS-pleasure?

Never having a steady paycheck. People who assume writing isn't hard work.
People who think because I work at home, I'm free to frolic with them
whenever they're free. Other than that, I love it.

If you have one piece of advice for the publishing world, what is it?

Hire someone whose only job is to call every writer under contract and ask
how things are going. Writing is such solitary pursuit, and receiving
consistant encouragement from a publisher would be nice. Also, hire people
who can write a check faster than I can write a book.

Are there two or three forgotten mystery writers you'd like to see in
print again?

The writers I admire are pretty much all still in print.

Tell us about selling your first novel. Most writers never forget that
moment.

My first book was the history of stockcar racing, ghosted for Bill France,
then president of NASCAR. I did it for a flat $1,000 fee. My biggest
thrill was when "Coffee, Tea or Me?" took off, ended up on the Times
bestseller list for months, and sold more than 5 million copies worldwide
(with its three sequels).
Tell us about selling your first novel. Most writers never forget that
moment.

1 comment:

Cap'n Bob said...

There was a Don Bain from Wichita who co-published a fanzine, Anomaly, with Jan Strnad in 1969. Is this the same guy?